NOTE: This opportunity is only open to those who participated in our Murals Without Walls Creative Workshops
We will be selecting between 2-4 artists from among workshop participants to work with Wendy Oberlander, making original work on large wooden portable sandwich boards.
If you wish to submit artwork for consideration to make a portable mural which will be seen at the Vancouver Mural Festival in August, please read the notes below for details.
Digital applications are due on Sunday, June 27 at 5PM.
The jury will be formed of three arts professionals. The jury will consider all work submitted. We recommend artists submit work that is 2D and would easily be transformed to a larger scale, viewed at street level. For example, a painting with broad shapes/lines would be appropriate for this project. A sculpture with many small details would not be appropriate. Wendy Oberlander will support the creation of the murals, collaborating with the Mural Festival and the artists.
Selected artists will receive an honorarium for the creation of one mural panel.
The Vancouver Mural Festival will provide technical support for the creation of the murals, and all materials needed for the murals.The murals will be on display at the Mural Festival’s pop-up plaza near Main + 5th Avenue in August 2021.
In order to participate in this juried selection process, these guidelines must be met:
- Artist must be registered for Murals without walls.
- Artist must live in Vancouver, and be able to travel to the production site (in Mount Pleasant).
- Artist must be available to produce the mural July 8-11, 2021. Times to be determined.
- 3-8 images of 2D artwork (whole works, with details of works if desired); include a list that numbers each image, with title, medium, size and year
- Short (3-5 sentences) describing your interest in the mural project.
- Short (3-5 sentences) describing yourself as a creative person. You might consider sharing: what inspires your artmaking? what did you discover most recently about your art making?
- Additional notes to the jury: if you wish the jury to know something more about yourself, or your artwork.
Texts may be submitted as spoken voice or signed with ASL. In this case, please submit a short video instead of written texts. All images must use the extension .jpg and be smaller than 3MB. All submissions, attached to one email, will be sent to [email protected] by 5 PM on Sunday, June 27th.
Need support / assistance completing your Application?
Fill out this form to participate in a support session: https://forms.gle/mZaHX8Agfy1G6YMR9
Please Note: Wendy will only be available during the indicated times. Support Sessions will take place on GoogleMeet. If you prefer to connect with Wendy via email instead of attending one of the GoogleMeet Sessions, she is available for short exchanges to support your application. Please be mindful of Wendy’s time & capacity; plan accordingly if you wish to communicate via email.