*2021 APPLICATION PERIOD NOW CLOSED*
Thank You to all who applied; the chosen recipient will be notified no later than April 30th, 2021.
Due to the volume of applications received we will only be contacting the successful candidate. A formal announcement of the recipient will be made in May 2020 via our website, newsletter and social media.
Geoff McMurchy (1955–2015), Kickstarts founding Artistic Director, was a pioneer in the local and international disability arts community. Anyone who knew him will tell you that he was an amazing Artist, and a trailblazer in the disability arts and culture community, who influenced a huge number of people.
Geoff’s dream was that disability art be considered on the same level as all art. “My interest is that the art that is presented should not be through the filter of ‘disability’; I would like it to be appreciated as art, and you don’t have to like it,” he once said.
Kickstart wants to keep Geoff’s voice and spirit alive, so in 2019 we created the Geoff McMurchy Artist Development Grant. The grant is given annually to an Artist that identifies as living with a disability, residing in British Columbia, working in any media to support them directly with marketing and financial support.
The Grant Recipient will receive:
o $3,000 cash award for artistic related costs;
o $250 Gift Card to OPUS Art Supply
o A one year Membership to Kickstart
o One meeting with an Artist or Mentor working in the recipients field;
o 500 full colour customized marketing postcards;
o 250 full colour business cards with braille
- Must be a resident of British Columbia.
- Must identify as living with a disability (self-identification is acceptable)
How To Apply
You Application Must Include:
- Name (+ legal name, if different)
- Complete Mailing Address
- Contact Information: phone and email
- Website and Social Media Links (if applicable)
- Artist CV or Resume (2 pages max.)
- Personal Biography (1 page max.)
- A sample of your Artistic Practice:
- Visual Artist: up to 6 images of your works
- Performance Artist / Musician: up to 6 short video or audio clip
- Literary Arts: up to 6 short samples of your writing
- Other: if the above categories to not apply to your artistic practice, please include up to 6 examples of your practice in your preferred format
- Answer All Three of the Following Questions:
- Describe your art and your artistic practice. (500 words max.)
- How will you benefit from receiving this grant? (500 words max.)
- How will you use the financial award? (250 words max.)
We kindly request all applications be submitted as an email attachment in PDF file format. Any excess files should be sent via zip folder or via a cloud drive (i.e. google drive)
Applications Due: April 1st, 2021
How To Submit Your Application:
Via email: email@example.com with “Geoff McMurchy Grant Application” in the subject line
Via Mail: Kickstart Disability Arts and Culture, PO Box 2749 Station Terminal, Vancouver, BC, V6B 3X2
Incomplete applications will not be considered.