APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED.
THANK YOU TO ALL WHO APPLIED.
ONLY THOSE WHO WILL BE INTERVIEWED WILL BE CONTACTED.
Calling all mad, Deaf and disabled curators! Whether you are an early career or established curator, this is an exciting opportunity to collaborate with Vancouver Mural Festival and Kickstart Disability Arts & Culture.
VMF GUEST CURATOR PROGRAM 2023 (1 POSITION)
SPECIAL PROGRAM COLLABORATION WITH KICKSTART DISABILITY ARTS AND CULTURE
THEMATIC FOCUS: DISABILITY JUSTICE
POSITION TITLE: Guest Curator
APPLICATION TIMELINE: Open February 13-March 13, 2023
CONTRACT: March 20 – September 15, 2023
LOCATION: Vancouver, BC
REPORTING TO: Creative Director, VMF and Artistic Director at Kickstart Disability Arts and Culture
COMPENSATION: P/T, $50/hr, approximately 60-100hrs.
POSITION DESCRIPTION & CURATORIAL THEMES
VMF is dedicated to evolving how our curatorial program integrates and supports the work of emerging, mid-career and established BIPOC, 2SLGBTQA+ artists and cultural producers. In partnership with Kickstart we are looking to fill one position for Guest Curator with the thematic focus on Disability Justice.
VMF and Kickstart hope to explore how artists and murals can be part of a powerful public engagement and communications strategy that expands our political and aesthetic imagination in relation to Disability Arts and Culture. We are looking for a strong curatorial voice to take on this vision in collaboration with VMF and Kickstart as part of the 2023 Festival. The role of the curator would be to work with the VMF team and Kickstart, its partners, and artists to shape the program, select artists and public programming, and consult on stakeholder engagement.
VMF and Kickstart are committed to creating opportunities for curators at all stages of their careers. The Guest Curator position has the potential to fall into either one of the following categories:
Emerging or Early Career Curator: This position is available for someone in the early stages of their career, and with a keen interest in programming or curating in the public sphere. The ideal candidate is looking for opportunities to work with artists, connect with communities, and learn about the logistics and challenges of curating in public space. We are looking for a range of relevant skills and experience, which does not necessarily require past work with mural artists.
Established Curator: This position is available for someone with a strong curatorial voice, and a range of experience locally, nationally and/or internationally. We are looking for a range of relevant skills and experience, which does not necessarily require past work with mural artists.
- Experienced in working with artists, and supporting them in conceptualizing, developing, and producing excellent work.
- Demonstrated ability to balance work with multiple artists, team members, and stakeholders with grace and excellent communications, all while under pressures of time constraints and project curveballs.
- Education or relevant experience in cultural and/or artistic histories.
- An understanding of contemporary issues in artistic representation.
- A keen eye for detail, a passion for exceeding expectations.
- Experience in working and/or volunteering in the arts or entertainment industry is an asset.
- Fluency in English required.
- Artist selection:
- Review, shortlist, and select from 2023 Applications and own network.
- All artists must be able to travel within Canada, with a focus on local talent.
- Attend weekly curator meetings during production time, onboarding sessions, productions meetings with artists and team, and other meetings as required.
- Support artists to produce excellent work, while navigating the challenges of working in public spaces.
- Provide a curatorial statement for your work with VMF.
- Support Marketing department by participating in media interviews, blog posts, and social media reach.
- Prepare and present a 10 minute presentation (with slides) for Curator’s Talk. (Possibly inviting an artist or two to share.)