This is an exciting opportunity to join a leading disability arts and culture organization as a key member of our team. As Artistic Co-Director, you will be working alongside our Administrative Co-Director, sharing leadership and support for both day to day operations and exciting big picture aspects of the organization. For this Co-Director position, we are looking for an individual with the ability to lead the organization through its current schedule of events and responsibilities (3 years of program funding secured!), as well as help us to fulfill our vision as major hub for disability arts and culture in British Columbia and beyond.
This is a Part Time position; 20-24hrs/ week.
Our office is located in Chinatown in the SpencerCreo Centre (a shared work space for non-profits); it is wheelchair accessible and close to transit.
Art Direction and Curation
- Cultivate and foster relationships with local and national artists who identify as living with a disability; disability focused organizations; and all local arts and culture organizations.
- Book artists for exhibitions, concerts, artist talks, workshops, performances, special events, and other opportunities.
- Work with and fulfill the existing schedule of events. This means making sure scheduled events take place, from head to toe, and to add new events where needed.
- Work directly with artists and venues to create events; select those artists and the works they show or perform; install or present these works in a professional and accessible manner.
- Work closely with our grant writer to complete and submit grants by their deadlines.
- Meet with grantors to discuss future grant proposals and granting direction.
- Maintain and fundraise for the Geoff McMurchy Artist Development Grant, which Kickstart gives annually.
- Create and book accessible components for events which may include; ASL, audio description, or braille production.
- Manage and co-run the Access to the Arts for All project with admin done by the Co Director. Includes going to meetings, site visits, research, cross-organizational networking and information gathering; and working closely with the contracted Accessibility Consultant.
- Participate in the Alliance for the Arts accessibility project, with admin support from your Co-Director. Includes attending meetings, public events, research, cross organizational networking and partnering, and information gathering.
- Be a point of information and direction for our artistic community.
- Be available to meet with and mentor our members when requested.
Other Duties As Required…..
- This is a leadership role, so as we move along duties and roles may change, and/or shift, so being open to change is a valuable asset
Assets / Qualifications:
- Education or equivalent experience in Arts / Art Curation, Non-Profit, Accessibility or similar field
- Familiarity and experience working in a leadership role in non-profit (Arts Non-Profit preferred)
- Familiarity with the Vancouver Disability Arts, Arts and Culture Community
- Grant writing experience, and enthusiasm for grant writing!
- Passion for and experience with working on issues of equity and accessibility for those who identify as living with a disability
- Excellent communication skills: ability to be professional and compassionate in all interactions with colleagues, members and guests at events
- Computer Proficient – Mac operating systems & programs, Microsoft Suite and Mailchimp
- Enjoys and is skilled in collaboration with others on projects and decision making
- Strong organizational, fundraising and time management skills
Kickstart’s Mandate states that 50% of our staff and board are individuals who identify as living with a disability, should you wish to disclose your identification in the application, please do so!
How to Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter (in pdf. Format- a single file) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please type “Artistic Co-Director Application” as the subject line.
Remuneration: Part Time Contract (20-24 hrs/week) $27.50/hr
Should you require any accommodations in the application/interview process please make not in your application correspondence. We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.