Geoff McMurchy (1955–2015), Kickstarts founding Artistic Director, was a pioneer in the local and international disability arts community. Anyone who knew him will tell you that he was an amazing Artist, and a trailblazer in the disability arts and culture community, who influenced a huge number of people.
Geoff’s dream was that disability art be considered on the same level as all art. “My interest is that the art that is presented should not be through the filter of ‘disability’; I would like it to be appreciated as art, and you don’t have to like it,” he once said.
Kickstart wants to keep Geoff’s voice and spirit alive by announcing the first annual Geoff McMurchy Artists Development Grant!
The grant will be given annually to an Artist that identifies as living with a disability, working in any media, to support them directly with marketing and financial support.
The grant recipient will receive:
o $500 cash award for artistic related costs;
o $250 Opus Gift card
o One meeting with an Artist or Mentor working in the recipients field;
o 500 full colour customized marketing postcards;
o 250 full colour business cards with braille
– Must be a resident of British Columbia.
– Must identify as living with a disability, self-identification.
How To Apply
Your application must include the following information:
1. Name / and legal name if different
2. Complete mailing address
3. Contact information: phone and email
4. Website (if applicable)
5. Resume (2 pages max.)
6. Personal biography (1 page max.)
7. 6 images of your art or practice (jpegs only)
8. Description of your images
Answer All Three of the Following Questions:
9. Describe your art and your artistic practice. (500 words max.)
10. How will you benefit from receiving this grant? (500 words max.)
11. How will you use the financial award? (250 words max.)
How To Submit Your Application:
Via email: email@example.com with “Geoff McMurchy Grant Application” in the subject line
Via Mail: Kickstart Disability Arts and Culture, PO Box 2749 Station Terminal, Vancouver, BC, V6B 3X2
Applications are due March 1, 2020 and the recipient will be announced by March 31, 2020.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.